The University of North Dakota Student Financial Aid Office (SFA) will consider appropriate flight costs in determining a student’s cost of attendance. In order to consider these costs, certain conditions must be met. The current policies and procedures used by the SFA Office are listed below.
Apply for Admission
You must be a regularly admitted, degree-seeking student to qualify for financial aid.
Complete the FAFSA
UND utilizes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal Application as its application for all financial aid. Aid available includes grants, work-study, and loan programs. The FAFSA is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov .
The SFA Office receives information from the federal processing center and then awards financial aid according to eligibility. All incoming freshman and transfer students will receive a flyer to their home regarding the acceptance process. Awards and communication are available through the Campus Connection Portal. Questions on the award process please contact the Aviation Financial Aid Advisor (see bottom of sheet for contact information).
Loan Processing Information
Students that are accepting their Federal Direct Loan need to complete Entrance Loan Counseling (ELC) and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov . Perkins requires an MPN, on Campus Connection next to accepted award and ELC, which can be found on the SFA website http://und.edu/admissions/financial-aid/types-of-aid/loans.cfm . Loan funds are received electronically and will be credited directly to the student’s University account. Any funds in excess of the amount owed to the University at the time of disbursement are considered “excess aid” and are released to the student’s UND Vibe Account. Please note that the UND Vibe Account must be activated regardless of the preference you choose.
Options for refund disbursements:
- Vibe Account – This preference credits the student’s UND Refund Choice Account. This is the fastest way to receive a refund.
- Direct deposit (ACH transfer) – This preference transfers the refund into the student’s existing bank account. This preference takes approximately 2 – 3 banking days to credit to the student’s bank account.
Applying for UND Scholarships and Waivers
If the student is interested in a general UND scholarship, visit: http://und.edu/admissions/undergraduate/costs-and-aid/index.cfm for more details.
UND Aerospace Scholarships
- Each year approximately $370,000 in UND Aerospace Scholarships and training awards are granted to students enrolled in Aerospace majors. Scholarship applications will be available for enrolled aviation students, normally during the spring semester. Awards are based on academic merit, leadership, flight achievement and other attributes as specified by the sponsors.
- Three significant scholarship programs are available for all currently enrolled aviation students (including freshmen and transfer students) majoring in professional flight:
- Odegard Scholarships Program, provided by the James Ray Foundation.
- The Joe Clark Scholarship in conjunction with the EAA Aviation Foundation.
- The Clay Lacy Scholarship in conjunction with EAA Aviation Foundation.
Students are encouraged to have a known source of funding prior to enrolling in any flight training-related curriculum. Flight costs are additional costs and are not included in tuition or fees. They are determined on an hourly basis for aircraft and flight instruction. Flight costs may be added to the estimated cost of attendance if the student has a declared major requiring a flight course. SFA reviews individual eligibility.
2017 – 2018 UND Academic Catalog
Students may refer to the UND Academic Catalog for tuition, fees and financial information at: http://und-public.courseleaf.com/undergraduateacademicinformation/newundergraduatestudentinformation/ Current policies for The Department of Aviation can be found at: http://und-public.courseleaf.com/undergraduateacademicinformation/departmentalcoursesprograms/aviation/
For further information, contact:
Financial Aid Advisor
UND Aviation Student Financial Aid
Tel: 701.777.4794 (Telephone)
Fax: 701.777.6165 (Fax)